Manuscripts and Special Collections

Former University coat of arms: icon for From the University's History

Chronology for: From the University's History

To Spotlight on the Collections introduction

You are here: Spotlight > University History > Chronology

Chronology: Key Dates from the University's History

Date Description
1873 Three Cambridge Dons came to Nottingham Mechanic's Institute to hold lectures in English Literature, Political Economy, and Force and Motion. These were the first University extension classes of their kind in the country.
1875 Lace Manufacturer Henry Heyman donated 10,000 to endow lectureships and put the University extension examination lectures on a permanent basis. Nottingham Corporation agreed to house the lectures under one roof.
1877 The foundation stone for the University College was laid on 27 September. The former Prime Minister William Gladstone was a speaker at the ceremony.
1877 - 1890 Professor Frank Clowes was the first Principal of University College.
1881 The official opening of University College by H.R.H. Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, took place on 30 June.
1890 - 1911 Reverend John Elliotson Symes was appointed Principal of University College.
1903 Charter of incorporation gave the College its own separate constitution.
1906-8 D.H. Lawrence attended University College.
1911 - 1929 Professor William Haslam Heaton was appointed Principal of University College.
1921 Highfields Estate was donated by Jesse Boot, founder of Boot's Chemists, for the development of a new University site.
1922 Viscount Haldane laid the foundation stone of the new University College building at Highfield Park on 14th June.
1923 College "Rag" became an annual event, raising money for charity.
1928 New University College buildings at Highfields were officially opened by King George V on 10 November.
1928 Florence Boot Hall of Residence, the first for female students, was opened, providing accommodation for 80 residents.
1929 - 1935 Professor Hugh Stewart was Principal of University College.
1929 Colonel B. D. Shaw, First World War hero and lecturer at University College, gave the first of his famous Explosives Lectures, which eventually toured the world and was televised by the BBC in 1969 to an audience of over one million viewers.
1930 Visit by Professor Albert Einstein, who gave a lecture at University College on 6th June.
1931 Visit by Mahatma Ghandi, who addressed the students in the Great Hall, 17th October.
1935 - 1947 Professor Harry Almond Saville Wortley was Principal of University College.
1937 Meeting at Nottingham of the British Association, 1 -7 September.
1929 - 1935 Professor Hugh Stewart was Principal of University College.
1937 H.G. Wells gave a lecture at University College.
1939 Evacuation to Nottingham of Goldsmiths' College, and the Institute of Education, both part of the University of London.
1939 - 1945 During wartime, land on campus was ploughed up and used for food production. University College also formed its own detachment of the Home Guard, made up of staff and student volunteers.
1941 The old University College building on Shakespeare Street suffered a direct hit in an air-raid, 8th-9th May.
1947 The former Midland Agricultural College at Sutton Bonington merged with University College to become the School of Agriculture.
1947 - 1948 Bertrand Hallward was installed as Principal of University College (becoming Vice-Chancellor upon the granting of a University Charter in 1948).
1948 A new charter granted 20th August gave the College full University status.
1949 - 1954 John Campbell Boot, the second Lord Trent, was installed as the University's first Chancellor.
1954 - 1971 William Arthur Henry Cavendish-Bentinck, 7th Duke of Portland was appointed Chancellor.
1956 Portland Building was completed and opened.
1956 The Music Department moved into Lenton Grove on 16 May.
1959 Cripps Hall opened.
1961 Social Science and Education Building opened.
1963 Cyril Cripps paid for the installation of a data link with the Atlas Computer at Manchester University.
1964 Rutland and Sherwood Halls for men opened.
1965 - 1966 Cavendish and Ancaster Halls for women opened.
1965 - 1970 Professor Lord Dainton of Hallam Moors was appointed Vice-Chancellor.
1966 Prime Minister Harold Wilson opened the new Science building.
1970 The Medical School was established and the first students began their studies in October.
1970 The Sports Centre was opened by Roger Bannister.
1970 In March of this year, amidst a climate of student militancy, students barricaded themselves into the Trent Building for a four- day occupation.
1971 - 1978 Sir Francis Hill was installed as Chancellor.
1971 - 1975 Professor Lord Butterfield of Stetchford was appointed Vice-Chancellor.
1972 A more powerful computer on campus created the need for a new building to house it in, and so the Cripps Computer Centre was commissioned and opened in this year.
1973 The new library opened, later named the Hallward Library, winning an RIBA award for its design.
1976 - 1988 Professor Basil Weedon was appointed Vice-Chancellor.
1977 Queen's Medical Centre was opened by the Queen on 28 July.
1978 - 1993 Sir Gordon Hobday was installed as Chancellor.
1981 As part of the University's centenary celebrations, the Queen visited the newly completed library.
1988 - Professor Sir Colin Campbell was appointed Vice-Chancellor.
1993 Opening of the Djanogly Arts Centre and Music Recital Hall.
1993 - 2000 Lord Dearing was installed as Chancellor.
1999 Royal opening of the Jubilee campus 9th December.
2000 Opening of University of Nottingham campus in Malaysia in September.
2000 - Professor Fujia Yang was installed as Chancellor.
2002 The D.H. Lawrence Pavilion and Djanogly Theatre was officially opened.
2003 Opening of Derby Medical School.
2003 Nobel Prize for Medicine awarded to Sir Peter Mansfield, in recognition of his work in Magnetic Resonance Imaging at the University.


Previous page: Bibliography 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   This is the last page
Terms   Privacy   Contact