You are here: Spotlight Topics > University History > New University
The New University
In August 1948, University College Nottingham was awarded a royal charter and became the University of Nottingham. A new system of governance was established and a Chancellor appointed.
The University could now confer degrees in its own name. Previously, its students had to sit examinations for degrees awarded by the University of London.
The first students could attend courses in six faculties:
- Applied Science
Although no longer a small civic college under local authority control, the University remained very much a part of Nottingham city life. There were annual services at St Mary's Church in Nottingham, and public processions through the city to degree ceremonies at the Albert Hall.
The 6th Duke of Portland was installed as the second chancellor in 1955. By then the institutions of the University were well established, with a Court, Council, Senate, Convocation, and Union of Students.
The Duke served as Chancellor until 1971, but his legacy continued through the transfer of his substantial family archive to the University Library and other gifts. The University's Portland Building, recently extended, was named to honour him.
Further sources relating to this subject area are held by Manuscripts and Special Collections at King's Meadow Campus. See our website for information about our collections and catalogues.