You are here: Spotlight Topics > University History > Wartime
The College in Wartime
Students at Nottingham during the
Second World War saw bomb damage to the Shakespeare Street
site, the use of Highfields land for agriculture, and the
arrival of fellow students evacuated from a London college.
In May 1941 the University College building on Shakespeare Street suffered a direct hit. Although there were no casualties, the west wing containing parts of the Mining and Textiles departments was destroyed. After essential repairs classes were resumed within a week.
During the war, the Physics and Engineering Departments at Shakespeare Street were called on by the War Office for specialist training of technical troops stationed in the area.
Staff and students contributed to Nottingham's war efforts by undertaking fire watch duties from College buildings.
Buildings at University Park remained undamaged by bombs, but in obedience to the government's urge to "dig for victory" the lawns were ploughed up and used for food production.
Teaching accommodation was stretched, as over 500 students and staff arrived from London. Hugh Stewart Hall became the home for Goldsmith's College women students, and students of the Institute of Education moved into Florence Boot Women's Hostel.
Further sources relating to this subject area are held by Manuscripts and Special Collections at King's Meadow Campus. See our website for information about our collections and catalogues.